Day 8

I had my first real post-op appointment with Dr. M today. Most of our discussion was about how shitty I have been feeling since surgery. He told me that I should be completely fine without the painkillers, so I am officially DONE taking them. and guess what? It is 5:30 pm and I have yet to be nauseous (knock on wood). I am rotating between ibuprofen (600 mg every 5 hours) and Tylenol (1000 mg every 5 hours). I think I am going to give up on the children's Motrin. I cannot stomach that atrocious berry flavor any longer.

I have more sores in my mouth. Seriously? They have moved to my bottom lip on the inside. I don't experience much pain with the ones on the bottom, other than brushing my teeth. My top lip constantly stings and feels really dry, even when my lips are completely lathered with Aquaphor. Let me tell you, this is getting OLD.

I was experiencing really bad headaches from the bands being so tight and holding my jaw together so strongly, so Dr. M configured the bands so that they would be a bit looser for me. He also said that I can take the bands off for a few hours a day. He didn't say how often or for how many hours.. can anyone tell me what their surgeon has told them after the first post-op appointment in regards to how long and often they can have their bands off? I took them off for about 2 hours, and because my lips are covered in sores, getting them back on was painful. It wasn't difficult to do, but it just made my lips that much more sore.

I expected the tape on my cheeks to be taken off today, where the incisions were made for the screws. Dr. M didn't mention it, and I didn't think about it until I got in the car. Can anyone tell me when their surgeon removed the tape?

I am wondering if anyone else has found themselves clenching when sleeping? I wake up and realize I am doing it, and my teeth have gotten so sore in the last few days! When I realize I am doing it, I try to relax my jaw as much as possible, and I think that works a little bit.

Eating takes FOR-EV-ER. I have actually taken down quite a bit today. I have had mashed up hamburger helper (just the noodles), a whole banana, a bit of cheesy rice, oatmeal, and some scrambled eggs. There may be more, but regardless, eating that amount has taken over like 3 hours of my life today.

Look passed my puffy lips, and you will see the swelling has gone down some more! Dr. M said I am ahead of most people in the decrease in swelling, but behind in swelling of my lips. I guess that's the way it goes! I don't know why I always look so dead in these pictures, even when I am feeling OK when the pics are taken. It's hard when I can't smile!


  • Rhianna | May 31, 2011 at 4:10 PM

    Wow your swelling has gone down!!!! I just commented on your Day 7 and you look so much different in these pics.. :)

    Regarding the bands.. Believe it or not I have not have ANY in since Day 2 when my Surgeon said I could take them out. I think this has really helped with me not having frequent headaches or severe pain. I was a little concerned as too why I don't have any in, but he assured me that everything was stable and I might get them put on soon if my bite needs re-adjusting

    I hope you find relief from those little buggers soon. Also do you now what the deal is with people having a splint in?? I don't have one.. do you?

  • Ellie | May 31, 2011 at 5:47 PM

    Dani, your swelling has really gone down! I'm sorry your still not feeling very well. Hopefully, stopping the pain meds will do the trick. Glad you got outside!

  • Anonymous | May 31, 2011 at 6:10 PM

    I cannot believe how little you are swollen compared to how insanely large my chin was post-op! Wow! You had a genio too, right? I wonder why I was so crazy swollen. I still am a bit!

    Congrats on moving away from the pain killers. I am on Advil (ibuprofen) only now as well. I was taking 2 of them 4 times a day, then moved down to 3 times a day, and I am 2 times a day now. Night-time is when things go all crazy and I take some. Then again in the morning because yes, I am clenching too.

    I am going to ask my OS about the clenching when I see him Monday. I have been lining my brackets with wax because I am scared I am damaging my teeth. And of course I don't want to screw up my jaw. But I hear it is very common to clench post-surgery, while recovering. I am sure we are fine. Perhaps if we were 250 lb men, we might be using force that would screw things up. But last time I saw my surgeon, he was not concerned at all. I still want to ask him again though.

    My rubberbands are crazy tight too. I take them off usually for an hour or so in the morning...I need the break. Then I take them off at night and do my exercises. I have had them off now for 2+ hours. Groan...guess it is time to put them back on... Lol.

    My OS took off the tape covering my incisions on Day 5 when I went for my post-op. I can barely see the incisions anymore!

    Your profile is AWESOME!

  • Braced Blogger | May 31, 2011 at 8:32 PM

    wow, in this picture, i can tell how much the swelling has gone down, especially below your eyes.

    i think you look fantastic dani and your profile is slowly shining through and it's beautiful!!

  • Sarah | June 1, 2011 at 3:26 PM

    You're looking great Dani! I'm sorry to hear you're having such a rough recovery, but just think of how great you're going to look! Underneath the swollen lips I can see a beautiful new face!

  • Braced Blogger | December 19, 2011 at 5:55 PM

    Dani I'm re-reading your blog for comparison purposes. I'm having a lot of pain and swelling it's only day 2.5. I am also not wearing any elastics anymore. My surgeon took them off when i was there today. I had only two to begin with. I feel my jaw is just hanging open without them and paranoid about relapsing although I know that's probably stupid since the plates are in there holding everything in place. What's the point of the bands then?

    I feel I might need to upgrade pain medicine. It's pretty bad. I cannot imagine it getting worse. Ughh...

    And I woke up clenching my jaw last night one time. I hope it doesn't happen again tonight.

Post a Comment