Day 3

The discouragement set in today, darnit, I was really hoping to keep a positive attitude through this whole thing.

My nose will not.stop.bleeding. Yesterday I taped some gauze below my nose to catch the constant dripping of blood, and I can STILL see liquid and feel it dripping. It certainly has started to dry up, but the extra gauze on my face is driving me crazy and I am ready to remove it, and until it is fully dry, I have to leave it alone.

My face just feels like a massive brick. I think my lips are less swollen now, but my face seems to be at the same level as it was yesterday. I have read that most things turn around and start improving at day 5. Pre-op, I would think that I just have to get through day 5 and things will be better, but gosh, day 5 seems to be FOREVER away. I am not feeling that anxiousness to know what I will look like without all the swelling quite yet, I am just ready to get rid of some of it just to get rid of some of the discomfort.

I have definitely stepped up my eating today. I have had two Ensure drinks and 2 apple sauce packets and some Naked juice. I even tried to tackle some cheesy rice. I am still eating and drinking mainly out of a syringe, other than my apple sauce packets, and used the back end of a spoon for the rice. After all of my blog reading, it seemed like most people were ready to get rid of these syringes ASAP, but I don't mind them. Obviously, I would rather eat WITHOUT one, but it keeps things less messy and guarantees me getting food in my mouth, and not on my chin. I am down 6 pounds from my pre-op weight.

I am keeping up with my salt water mouth rinses and the medicated mouth wash. I have brushed my teeth twice since arriving home from the hospital, but am planning on increasing this as well. My upper lip is definitely more swollen than my bottom lip is, so I still haven't really seen my top teeth, which makes brushing them really difficult.

The band on my right side snapped today. I was out enjoying some sunshine and I think I was nearly asleep when I felt it snap. My mom called the OS and I got in to see in an hour and a half later. Dr. M replaced both bands, he said they lose their elasticity very quickly, and I can definitely vouch for that one. My teeth feel much tighter now, but it's still bearable. I saw the mom of the girl I used to babysit who is getting this surgery on June 6 (just lower jaw) in the waiting room, and she didn't recognize me at first. I am really hoping I didn't freak her out with all of my swelling! Dr. M pointed out that I am definitely more swollen on my left side, but that's because the bone shave was done on that side so he said it was normal.

Dr. M said my bite looked perfect, and my teeth looked really clean, so that definitely lifted my spirits and turned my day around a bit.

I know that I only have improvement to look forward too. I am thrilled to be on the other side of this surgery, but I know these next two days are a huge test of my patience.

My first real post-op appointment with my surgeon is on Tuesday. Even though I had my bands changed today, Dr. M wants to take another look when the swelling goes down a bit, and change my bands again. Hoping tomorrow is a better day.


  • Anonymous | May 26, 2011 at 7:50 PM

    Hang in there, Dani! I too didn't mind the syringe as it kept me from spilling food all over myself. I started drinking out of a thin plastic cup probably day 5 or 6. And I am still using baby spoons. I can use a regular spoon now but like that they baby ones are rubber tipped. Since I still can't feel some things, I don't want to knock my teeth out with the metal spoon! Plus my baby spoons are fun colors and super cute, ha ha, I am a dork.

  • Terra | May 26, 2011 at 9:21 PM

    Hey Dani! Sorry to hear about the nose bleeds, that has to be really annoying. Did your surgeon say how long it will be before they should stop?
    Have you been able to get much sleep since the surgery?
    Hope things get better soon and that your swelling doesn't stick around too much longer.

  • JEN | May 27, 2011 at 5:18 AM

    Hi Dani, For me the dripping was the ABSOLUTELY worst part. It started to get better after a week, but then I got an infection, so I had another week. ONce it stopped, I turned the corner.

    Hang in there!

  • Mai | May 27, 2011 at 8:30 AM

    heyy, hopefully the nose bleeds will go away, ..and your looking better and better each new pic..
    you look good =) hang in there the lip swelling will go down really soon, it takes bout maybe less then a week and ice really helps with the facial swelling
    by any chance the incisions where made inside of your mouth right?

  • z3 | May 27, 2011 at 9:06 AM

    dont worry i am still eating out of a syringe on day 11 well its because i have a splint but wtvr be strong i know how u feel day 5 will start getting better

  • Braced Blogger | May 27, 2011 at 7:02 PM

    dani, you look awesome! i can see right through the swelling! ok, well maybe not perfectly but i can tell the end result is going to be absolutely beautiful!

Post a Comment