Day 5

Sorry for not getting my post up yesterday.

Have I ever mentioned that I have the worst immune system? I am one of those people who can come 100 feet from some virus and catch it instantly. I have always been an incredibly slow healer, so I am not sure why I expected anything differently from such a major surgery. I can't even get piercings to heal properly!

I started to have some pain at the back of my mouth, just behind my bottom left molar, right where the incisions were. Every time I swallowed, I had to brace myself because it was so sore. It's a hard feeling to explain, but seeing as my first post-op appointment wasn't until Tuesday, I just couldn't deal with it that long. My mom called the on-call surgeon and I headed in 30 minutes later. He took a look in my mouth, and said everything looked great, no infection or tears to the insicion sites. He did tell me that I have sores all over the top lip and roof of my mouth, which is causing my lips to still be so huge. They are caused by my immune system being down, kind of like cold sores. He gave me a prescription for a stronger painkiller (Percocet) and said my lips should sort themselves out soon.

Upon arriving home, eating something, and taking my new pain killer, the day seriously went down hill. I spent a majority of the night vomiting, couldn't keep anything in my tummy, and my head hurt so bad the light was painful to my eyes. I was miserable. We considered going to the hospital because I kind of felt out of options, but after a few phone calls with the surgeon, I was able to get a prescription for an anti-nausea pill. After such a long time of nothing in my stomach, I wasn't able to take any pain killers, so my face was really hurting. I kept getting so hot and sweaty, and then I would take off my blankets and be freezing cold. I was worried about a running a fever, but I took my temp and was okay. Around 9 pm I was finally able to eat some jello and get a pain pill in my system, and started feeling well enough to get some sleep.

Day 5 was by far the most difficult day of this process. I am praying to never, ever have to go through a day like that again.


  • Brent | May 29, 2011 at 7:58 AM

    Hi Dani -

    Rough night for you, sorry to hear that. Percocet is not my friend either, it makes me aggitated. Did they give you Vicodin, that seems to work for me in extreme pain. I hope you have a better day. You are in my prayers!

  • Terra | May 29, 2011 at 9:30 AM

    Hey Dani, I used to get sick all the time but I found a few tricks to avoiding it. I know here in Canada you can get bolthouse farms C-Boost smoothie, its like a think juice, it has 1200% your daily intake of vitamin C and every time i start to get sick i drink a bottle over a day and I don't end up getting sick. They sell it at Walmart here in the produce section. Also I make a lot of smoothies containing blueberries, and green tea powder which are both great antioxidants. Also try taking a couple echinacea pills whenever you start feeling sick.
    I really hope you feel better soon. I can't imagine how hard it must be to be in your condition after surgery. I hope things turn around soon.

  • Ellie | May 29, 2011 at 10:45 AM

    Dani, so sorry to hear that you're feeling so crummy. I really hope your new med takes the swelling down in your lips. Thanks for posting even though you feel rotten. I hope you feel better soon!

  • Dani | May 29, 2011 at 12:17 PM

    Brent- They originally prescribed lortab, but I just didn't feel like it was doing it's job, which was why he gave me percocet instead. Doesn't look like that one is going to do much good either, so it's back to the lortab

    Terra, yes, I those! It's actually what I have been drinking mainly (over Naked) because it seems to stay down okay. Most people are more familiar with Naked, so I have been calling it that, but bolthouse farms is what I have been drinking :)

    Ellie, Thank you so much :) I appreciate all of the well wishes from everybody!

Post a Comment