Twenty One-- In Braces

Last weekend was my 21st birthday! It was on a Sunday, so it certainly wasn't the typical 21st, but I had a blast. There was a Gopher Football game on Saturday, and my birthday on Sunday.
I went home Sunday morning to have brunch with my family, and then a group of friends and I went to a restaurant called The Cafeteria for dinner, so good! I came back to my sorority house for a bit, relaxed, and then went out to a campus bar with a small group of friends. Although it wasn't a lot of people, we had a really fun time :)

Some friends and I at the football game!

Me and the love of my life, my nephew :) My sister dressed him up in his 'My Auntie is the Best' onesie for my birthday brunch!

My first legal drink!

I wanted to make a post about this because age has certainly played a HUGE role in this whole process for me. I was originally told to do braces in high school, but due to major self confidence issues, I put it off. Then, come college, although I was a bit more comfortable with the idea, I was starting college, and was worried about the new people I would meet would think of me. Well, now I am celebrating my 21st birthday in braces, and am HOPING they will be off by my college graduation next December (wishful thinking)! It was certainly weird showing my ID at both the restaurant and the bar, because these braces make me look at least a few years younger!

This surgery is something that is very dependent on age. It's not something that can be done at an age where none of us cares about our appearance (that awkward stage that we have ALL had) because we haven't stopped growing. By the time we do stop growing, we have finally made it out of that awkward stage, and these braces seem to just throw me right back into that place I never wanted to go back to. I know that going through this, I am certainly not the only one who is having trouble dealing with having braces at an elementary-school-seems-like-ages-ago age. I do feel like many of the blogs I have read with people my age seem to have a more positive attitude about the whole process than I do, but compared to my thoughts on having braces a few years ago, I have done a complete 180. I can honestly say I cried at 18 when I was told I definitely needed braces. I have come to the point where I KNOW it is necessary, and there's nothing I can do about it. I have found that most people I meet don't bring it up, and anyone who does is typically a friend and is just curious about the process I am going through.

So to anyone who is really struggling with the age and appearance thing, you're certainly not the only one!

0 comments:

Post a Comment