Day 9 and Day 10

Day 8 was by far the best day. Day 9 and Day 10 threw me for quite the loop.

If you are not looking for TMI, I highly suggest skipping over this blog post.

Yesterday I was feeling okay. I was able to eat and get up and get moving. My best friend came over for a short visit. When we were talking, she couldn't help laughing because words come out of my mouth but my lips don't move. I am not sure what was more frustrating; that she was laughing at me, or that I was unable to laugh along with her.

When I was in the hospital, the Drs told me that the medication I was receiving through my IV would cause constipation. At the time, and even post-op, it was honestly the last thing on my mind. I had too many other things to worry about; dealing with pain, nausea, swelling, getting enough food, showering, etc. I didn't eat anything or take anything to avoid this from happening. Because of my error, I literally spent the last 20+ hours of my life in complete agony. Everything I tried, I could not use the bathroom. I had to go, but after 10+ days of not going, things don't really work properly. Because my stomach was hurting so badly, I was unable to eat, and therefore didn't take in anything for nearly 24 hours. I somehow managed to get through the night, but I was still in so much pain, I went to the Dr office and sat through my appointment, and was given a few suggestions. Things finally worked out for me, and I was able to go to the bathroom today.

To anyone who is having surgery in the future: DO NOT make the same mistake I did. Drink prune juice. Eat as much fiber as you can. Do SOMETHING. Because doing nothing is not good. I never thought that something so silly could cause me the most pain post-op.

I was in far too much pain yesterday to take pictures but I am feeling much better this evening. I have been able to take down quite a bit of my favorite soup that my momma makes. Also, anyone with a upset stomach, try putting some sherbet icecream in a cup of ginger ale. So good!

p.s. I apologize if this was too detailed. I really just want to help anybody avoid ending up in the same situation I was in.

The swelling in my face continues to go down. My bottom lip has definitely decreased in swelling as well. I think the two sides of my lip have gone down, but the center portion, where most of the sores are, seems to just be staying put. Holy frustrating.



5 comments:

  • Rhianna | June 2, 2011 at 9:54 PM

    Oh Dani! I feel you pain... I was struggling with this the first few days out of hospital. Because I was in the hospital for 4 days, the nurses kept asking me if I had any bowl movements, and of course I hadn't because hospital food is not substantial enough to allow 'things' to get moving. When I got home, mum made it my number 1 priority and got me drinking prune juice, veggie juice and benefiber to help me get there! Thankfully I did, but I can totally understand how painful and frustrating it would have been for you. Great advice for everyone out
    there so thanks fro sharing..

    I have stopped taking my Endone pain killers as they apparently cause major constipation as so does a lot of other pain killers so it is a good thing to know post surgery.

    Your swelling is going down :)

  • Anonymous | June 3, 2011 at 6:10 AM

    Yep, I had the same problem. Miralax worked for me eventually but I wish I had started taking it day 1!

    You look great! I wake up sooooo swollen, I feel like it is never going to subside.

  • Brent | June 3, 2011 at 7:18 AM

    Hi Dani!
    Your swelling is going way down and you look great!
    Glad you were able to get relief from the side affects of meds! I am so not looking forward to that. I think I am going to ask for prune juice to be added in my IV!!
    Have a great day!
    Cheers,
    Brent

  • carpe diem | June 3, 2011 at 11:27 AM

    Dani,

    This is a common problem, mine was more dramatic like yours lasting way to long. I think being so sick, pain meds all add to the trouble. Glad you found relief. I started taking cascara sagrada, found at any health store. I take 2 before bed. This helped to regulate and maintain a regular bowel. I highly recommend it just for a couple of weeks until your body can re-set. You really do look great. The swelling will go away eventually. You are doing great.. hang in there cutie I promise it will get better. This is a big deal, the most difficult thing that I have been through physically ever. (including 3 natural childbirths) So be patient and kind to yourself, and get a lot of rest. Sending you cyber hugs!!

  • Sarah | June 3, 2011 at 3:05 PM

    Hi Dani, I'm glad you've spoke about this cos I had the same issue even after just having my wisdom teeth out!! I think I didn't eat any fruit or anything cos it was too hard to chew, and didn't anticipate the painful effects that this could cause! Glad I'm not the only one, and I will be stocking up on tinned prunes before my op haha! Your lips are definitely looking a smaller!

Post a Comment