Day 19

This is the first day I really don't have much to discuss! Things are really slowing down progress-wise, although I am sure there is still constant change, it's just less noticeable.

The Minnesota Twins game failed a little bit. My boyfriend and I bailed during the 5th inning after being soaked by the rain and sick of the 55 degree weather. It was a bummer, but it was really cool to see the new stadium- we used to have an indoor stadium, but an outdoor one was built last summer. We went to McDonalds afterwards and I got chicken nuggets and fries. The fries were surprisingly difficult to eat, but the nuggets were easy, even though it took me like an hour to eat 8 of them but ahh they were soo good!

I am kind of in the midst of an identity crisis. I know it's only been 3 weeks and I will get used to the new face, but it makes me a bit depressed at times. It is certainly not that I hate the way I look now, that's not true at all. But after 21 years of getting used to every curve and line in my face, and seeing the same smile in every picture, it just feels WEIRD to not see that anymore. My lip is still swollen so I can't smile properly, and even when the swelling goes down and I can smile properly, I will have to work on getting used to the new smile. I think it will help when the lip goes down and I can see some sort of smile to get a better understanding of what I will look like in the long run. Right now, every time I look in the mirror, all I can pay attention to is my lip! I know these feelings will pass. I am too fresh out of surgery to be getting too worried about anything. I just need to make sure I am comfortable with the way I look and the way I smile by the time my sister's wedding rolls around at the beginning of September!

Post-op friends: When did your surgeon have you begin doing exercises to increase how wide you can open your mouth? I am ready to start gaining range of motion, but am curious when other people began working at this?




6 comments:

  • Jen | June 11, 2011 at 5:28 PM

    oh my gosh you look amazing!!!!!!!!
    I started doing exercises week two, just open and closing.

  • Nora Simone | June 11, 2011 at 8:27 PM

    You're looking better and better with each post! And I kinda know what you mean about the identity crisis. It's the fear that's looming over me, too. Like you said, after so many years getting used to and accepting what is yours it has to be tough to just suddenly be different. But what I'm going to tell you (and myself) is that different doesn't mean bad. It just means different. You found beauty in your "old" face and you'll find beauty in the new. You are still you, and people are going to see YOU no matter what face you present to the world. Be patient (I know it's probably hard). Time will fix everything. Just keep hanging on to your positive thoughts!

  • Rosa | June 12, 2011 at 4:52 AM

    dani!!:) you really do look prettier and prettier every day! I have been trying to comment for ages but the blogspot website was being stupid and not letting meee! ahaa I really love seeing how your doing every day your blog is so great:)
    you don't need to worry about having a drastically different face- to an outsider the changes aren't that dramatic, you still look like you! I think it just exagerates the beautiful aspects of your face!! like your eyes! you will adjust really fast I promise and you'll be so pleased you were brave enough to go for it, I think you are bound to have doubts with something like this because your face is so integral to your identity, but in the end you wil be so happy with it, I know it!! lots of love xoxoxox

  • Sarah | June 12, 2011 at 7:07 AM

    I was looking at myself in the mirror last night and wondering whether I'll really be able to cope with having a different face one day (until I laughed and saw my big gummy smile lol), so I can imagine how difficult it must be to adjust. From all the research I've done it seems like most people have a period of not being too sure about their new look, whereas all of the people commenting think that they look better - I think it's just when it's your face it's a lot harder to get used to it and see the benefits. But after a while people seem to get used to it and begin to like it more and more. I know when you look in the mirror you must still think you look odd because you've known your face for so long, but to people like us who only know you through your blog, and I'm sure to people that don't know you, your face doesn't look weird at all. In fact you're looking more and more beautiful with every post :) Just try to be patient and give it time, and I'm sure you'll soon start to get used to things and love your new face!

  • Brent | June 12, 2011 at 8:36 AM

    Hi Dani!
    I say ditto to what Sarah said! You look amazing and I could only imagine the paradigm shift you are experiencing with your new look.
    Have a wonderful day!
    Cheers,
    Brent

  • Unknown | January 15, 2019 at 12:39 PM

    Hi Dani I know this is an old blog but I am in Minnesota as well, with a similar facial/jaw disposition as your before photos. I’m considering orthognathic surgery. Where did you get yours done? Your results are amazing!

Post a Comment